JOB SUMMARY: A Polysomnographic Technologist II works under the general supervision of the Medical Director of the Sleep Center to provide comprehensive evaluation and treatment of sleep disorders. This position ensures that polysomnography, diagnostic and therapeutic tests and services are properly performed and that patient education is delivered. This position will assist in the responsibilities of the daily operations of the Sleep Center including but not limited to patient intake, scheduling, testing, scoring, follow-up, and coordination with other hospital departments. The Polysomnograph Technician II will work in conjunction with the Sleep Center Director and physician offices to ensure all necessary documents are available prior to testing. This position ensures that quality standards are met or exceeded and that standards are in place and performed in order to achieve and maintain center accreditation. **This position will primarily focus on scoring sleep studies.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS:
I. Provides personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words) V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
PEOPLE - 20%
1. Collaborates with department director and medical director on center operations, staffing, quality, physician relations, patient needs and other issues as needed.
2. Evaluates and assesses patient’s medical condition, using physician designed triage tools.
3. Coordinates with the care team to meet patient needs and interacts with others in a supportive, respectful manner.
4. Participates in projects, programs and action plans to meet department goals.
5. Coordinates with Patient Access regarding sleep center schedule, patient appointments, insurance verification, and documents required prior to testing.
SERVICE - 30%
1. Strives to exceed patient and coworker expectations.
2. Identifies and anticipates customer requirements, expectations and needs, effectively addressing and resolving customer issues.
3. Addresses patients and physician issues and/or complaints in conjunction with department director.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
1. Assists in coordination of daily operations of the Sleep Center, ensuring smooth and efficient operations.
2. Performs daytime and nighttime sleep studies as needed, including but not limited to Multiple Sleep Latency Testing (MSLT), Maintenance of Wakefulness Test (MWT), parasomnia studies, PAP and oxygen titration, ensuring collection of appropriate data and documentation of observations and significant events. Implements appropriate patient safety and therapeutic interventions as needed.
3. Scores polysomonograms in a timely fashion using established sleep center guidelines, preparing accurate reports to Physicians.
4. Responsible for maintaining and entering data into the Sleep Center’s database.
5. Coordinates with the care team to meet core patient needs.
6. Maintains strict confidentiality of patients, employees and hospital information at all times.
7. Resolves most questions and problems, and refers only the most complex issues to higher levels.
8. Assists patients in the coordination of DME needs and follow up as needed.
9. Assists in the development of department policies and procedures for review by department director.
10. Demonstrates knowledge and behaviors related to clinical assessment, documentation, and patient safety requirements; demonstrates strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
11. Ensures compliance with accreditation standards, involved in obtaining and maintaining center accreditation.
12. Maintains and achieves the highest standards of quality, delivery of care and service, developing reports regarding center performance and quality.
13. Consults sleep center physicians regarding technical issues and participates in physician record review.
14. Follows all safety rules while on the job, reporting accidents promptly.
FINANCE - 10%
1. Produces monthly volume and other reports as required.
2. Responsible for maintaining and entering data into the center database to ensure proper coding, filing, and maintenance of center records.
3. Utilizes center resources and supplies efficiently.
4. Identifies cost saving or revenue opportunities.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
1. Generates and communicates new ideas and suggestions that improve quality or service.
2. Demonstrates adaptability and flexibility in the face of changing demands.
3. Displays initiative to improve skills relative to job function.
4. Accepts feedback and changes behavior appropriately.
5. Approaches problems with an open mind and contributes to solutions.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below
In addition to the educational requirements verified by the credentialing board for RPSGT or RRT-SDS registries, must have at least 3 years experience as a Polysomnographic Technologist in a Sleep Disorders laboratory/center
Strongly preferring individuals who are experienced with scoring sleep studies
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
Must have one of the following:
Registered Polysomnographic Technologist (RPSGT) by the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists (BRPT) or
Sleep Disorders Specialist (RRT-SDS) from the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC)
American Heart Association BLS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Must be able to comply with all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and standards regarding safety and infection control issues
Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
Perform routine and complex equipment care and maintenance
Sufficient proficiency and experience with compute database management, as office software skills
Demonstrate ability to follow directions
Demonstrate the ability to analyze complex situations and apply policy
Comply with the BRPT standards of conduct
Ability to manage time efficiently
Internal Number: 47261
About Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened in December 2000 to serve the comprehensive health care needs of the growing community in Northwest Houston. The 312 bed hospital has 17 operating rooms, and more than 1,900 employees. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has been named a Magnet recognized health care facility by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program® and was ranked No. 8 in the Houston metro area and No. 19 in Texas by U.S. News & World Report as a “Best Hospital” in 2016. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital is Northwest Houston's regional leader in robotic minimally-invasive surgeries and specializes in cardiology and cardiovascular services, neurology, neurosurgery, orthopedics and sports medicine, and comprehensive cancer services. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has a Breast Care Center, Cancer Center, Imaging Center, Infusion Center, Sleep Center, Surgical Weight Loss Center and operates the largest Childbirth Center in the greater Northwest Houston area.